Welcome to my ER BLOG! My goal is simple: to expose what E.R. life is like, and even share some medical knowledge with you. Enjoy! But first, read the disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
Right as I step on the unit, I see 5 nurses sprinting down the hallway with oxygen masks. A few doctors are sprinting behind them with IV poles, tracheotomy tubes, and countless syringes stuffed in their pockets. Blood is splattered all over their clothing, and all I can hear are the words, "CODE BLUE. CODE BLUE. ROOM 710. CODE BLUE." The secretary was sobbing. The janitor stood helpless with a mop as he looked on in horror. All hell broke loose until I finally witness what had happened: A man's head fell off.
Okay, if you are expecting this blog to be as exciting as what you see on ER, House, or Grays Anatomy (all stupid shows except for ER and House), then you have come to the wrong place. That story was not true, but if you bought it at first, it simply highlights the prejudice you have about an E.R. My blog will work to erase that prejudice.
Day one was rather slow. I saw a false pregnancy, appendicitis, a stomach virus, high blood pressure, a lot of hypoxia, and way too many STDs before lunch break. None were serious cases, although if all in one patient, it would probably be a little serious.
The most remarkable patient was a 268 year old Native American dwarf (HIPPA can be fun see?) who came in thinking she was pregnant. The test was ordered and she was negative. Despite having serious symptoms of potentially fatal diseases, the patient refused any further treatment. She left AMA (against medical advice). Leaving AMA involves signing a bunch of papers and having the nurse basically say "when you drop dead, it ain't our fault." Case closed. I wish her well.
Medical advice of the day: THE BRAT DIET. What is this?
When you have the flu and are nauseous with diarrhea and a weak appetite, remember BRAT.
Bananas
Rice
Applesauce
Toast
These foods are good for several reasons. One, they help solidify your poop because they are sticky and tend to absorb a lot of fluid. Also, they are bland and easy to eat, even when you feel like your stomach is about to explode. Personally I find the thought of eating rice when sick to be grotesque. That R needs a changing. Any ideas? Raisins? Ramon Soup? A ribeye?
This is the very beginning of a long, 160-hour journey (and hopefully a career) in emergency nursing blogs. Thank you for reading today. I appreciate your time.
- Nurse Tommy
****As to comply with HIPPA (patient confidentiality rules) all names and ages of patients will be intentionally distorted.
No comments:
Post a Comment